Mom Dies

Wednesday was one of the most nerve racking days of my life. It all started around 1 PM when I got a phone call that my mother was experiencing chest pains. Mom works at a hospital and was take to that emergency room and was being transferred to another hospital to undergo and emergency cardiac catheterization. They wanted to go in and check the stints that they had put in the week before to make sure there was nothing wrong with them.

Wednesday, coincidently, was also the day of my final exam. I tried contacting my teacher to see if I could take my exam at another time because I was really scared and upset because of my mother. I did not hear back from him before I had to leave for the exam and I had talked to my mother and she said she wanted me to take my test because it was too important. Dad said he would call me as soon as she was out of surgery so to let me know how it went.

I got to my exam and set out my cell phone in a place where I could see it. Mom was being transported to the other hospital at 3 and I figured she would be in the operating room while I was taking my test. I finish my exam and leave for home and still nothing from Dad. I get home and open my e-mail to find a letter from my teacher. He didn’t get to read my e-mail until after I had already finished and turned in my exam. He said he will grade it and let me know how I did and if need be he will let me re-take it. I think I did pretty good, so hopefully that won’t be necessary.

So I continue to wait. 7 PM comes and goes and still no word from Dad. My brother heads towards our house so that we can wait for the news together. Finally just before my brother arrived I get a call from my Dad. Mom is ok. There was nothing wrong with the stints they had put in the first time, and while they were in there they added a few more to some other arteries that may not cause problems in the future, but better to be safe than sorry.

When Dad is explaining what they did he mentions that it is rare, but from time to time when the ink is injected into the heart it will actually stop. This time around this happened to Mom. They had to use a defibrillator to bring her back. At this point Dad broke down and had to hang up the phone to calm down. It is hard to grasp that my mother actually died on Wednesday. She died and they were able to bring her back yet, but she actually died.

I must say that Wednesday was one of the most terrifying and stressful days in my life. I need her still. I need her to help me plan my wedding and to help me when I have my first child. I need her around so that I can yell at her for buying my kids too much Disney stuff and to burn a few more family dinners. The thought of losing her terrifies me because I don’t know what I would do without her. Hopefully this procedure has helped to ensure that she is here to celebrate my life with me.

One Response to “Mom Dies”

  1. mynx Says:

    Holy shit. So terrifying. I’m thinking of your family.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.